Monday, February 12, 2007

Front Range Youth Directors, 02/08/07—NOT!

There were two appointments in Denver I had while attending a continuing education event in Winter Park, CO with my husband last week. I made it to the wonderful gathering with individuals volunteering with Urban Servant Corps. The other event, I missed. I was supposed to meet with the Front Range Youth Directors at the ELCA synod office on Feb. 8th; that didn't happen...

As those of you who have driven from Denver to Winter Park know there is a mountain pass that separates the two cities called Berthoud Pass. Basically it is 15-20 miles of either ascending or descending a mountain on a curvy road with hairpin turns. The road is well paved, well marked and wide, so on a good day is very drivable. But there are two things a driver always keeps in mind while maneuvering through the pass: 1. road conditions (caused by weather or traffic) and 2. making sure you have good breaks.

When I made my appointments in Denver, knowing I would be staying in Winter Park, I was more concerned about having to cancel because of bad weather then I was because of the brakes on my rental car, but as it turned out the later became my problem. To make a long story short I stopped along the pass not far from Winter Park because my front driver's side break/wheel was making a funny noise. A Good Samaritan came to my rescue and let me follow his vehicle (which happened to be a tow truck) through the pass to Denver, I exchanged vehicles at the rental car company (no hassles) and was again on my way. In the mean time, I missed my appointment with the Front Range Youth Directors, but I was safe.

However, I did stop at the ELCA synod office and was able to speak with Assistant to the Bishop, Pastor Dan Bollman, who passed along some information to the youth directors on my behalf, and who is willing to help facilitate more conversation with them electronically and in person; for all his help I am grateful. I also was able to get reacquainted with Cheryl Almquist, the woman who was the secretary at my internship church in Arvada, CO, and who has been working with the synod now for 14 years (see photo).

It was a day full of blessings and woes but, all in all, it turned out A-OK. Thanks be to God!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home