Saturday, July 14, 2007

Camp Emmaus, July 11-12

Camp Emmaus is located in Menahga, MN (near Park Rapids) and is one of three camps composing the Pathways camping corporation--the other two camps being Lake of the Woods near Baudette, MN and Minne-Wa-Kan near Cass Lake, MN.

I had been to Emmaus once before in the fall for a retreat, but this was my first time visiting in the summer and while camp was in full swing. The serenity of the place that I knew from my visit in the fall was quickly erased by the controlled chaos of counselors, boys and girls actively engaged in what summer camp is all about: games, singing, bible studies, camping, swimming, crafts, canteen and meals. It was fun to see Camp Emmaus from both of these sides.

Hospitality was greatly extended to me by the entire staff and in the short time I was there they really made me feel a part of them. My sincere thanks to Laura Morlock, program director and Derek Tronsgard (who will be a student at Luther Seminary in the fall) for seeing to all my needs.



I had great conversations with a number of the staff regarding seminary study as well as general conversations about discernment. It is such a joy to listen to these talented young men and women talk about the dreams and aspirations they have for their futures. One young lady shared with me a dream about renovating an old hotel and making it a safe and healthy environment for foster children of all ages. Another spoke to me about her passion for working with refugees. And a young man and I spoke about his major in elementary education and the importance of being a role model for boys; especially in a culture where fathers are often absent from their children’s lives.

Lord God, thank you for allowing me the opportunity to take a few steps along the journey of life and faith with the staff at Camp Emmaus last week. Give them the energy and creativity they need to complete their ministry this summer; they are truly a blessing to the campers they serve. And guide them with your wisdom as they dream and discern their futures and seek to give glory to you through the life you have granted them. In Jesus name, Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home