Wednesday, June 06, 2007

NeSoDak Bible Camp, May 28-30, 2007

My Bible Camp travels began on Memorial Day afternoon as I headed west to great state of South Dakota. My first stop was NeSoDak Bible Camp located in Waubay, SD about 70 miles East of Aberdeen.

The camp is located on a peninsula that juts out into Lake Enemy Swim. A beautiful mural in the camp Lodge depicts the rich history of this camp. The Dakota Indians (whose reservation land surrounds the camp & lake) once had a vibrant village on this peninsula. During an attack by another Native American tribe they forced the enemy to retreat and swim across the early spring frigid waters of Indian Bay, thus giving the lake the name Enemy Swim.

I had a great time visiting and participating with the staff during staff training. My thanks to program director AJ Franken for allowing me the opportunity to speak with the staff regarding the topics of discernment and church vocations; it was very enjoyable for me to interact with the staff in this way. I also was able to join the staff in preparing for the summer Bible studies and worship times. The staff tackled some important and sometimes difficult theological questions. For many of them this is the first time they will be the “teacher” and not the “learner” of the word of God and that can be a bit intimidating when one is just starting out. But these are gifted and faithful young men and women and I have no doubt they will rise to the task.

One of the things I tell the camp staffs that I meet with is to take seriously if someone says to them, “you know I see in you the gifts/talents/skills to be a professional leader in the church.” Because often times other people see gifts in us that what we may not see ourselves and the Holy Spirit is probably working through this person to help us discern our vocation.

One young woman shared with me an example of this happening to her. A gentleman in her home congregation (who happened to be a prominent leader in the community) sent her a one and half page letter saying just this and such words surprised her and delighted her, but more importantly have stuck with her to this day. My thanks to that gentleman and all those who have felt moved by the Holy Spirit to affirm our young people in this way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home