Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Klein Ranch, May 30-31, 2007

Westward ho into the north central plains of South Dakota I go and onto Klein Ranch; Yee Ha!

Located a little over an hour East of Mobridge, SD on a beautiful hill over looking the vast wide open landscape of South Dakota is Klein Ranch Bible Camp. And a ranch it is—home to 20+ horses, 2 pigs, 3 rabbits and numerous cats. Through interactions with the animals and small community of campers and staff at Klein, youth develop a sense of responsibility for themselves and for others as they bask in the richness of God’s creation.

Unfortunately there was no interacting with the horses during my visit as the cool winds blew and the rain poured; oh it would have been fun to go for a ride. I did though get to feed the pigs. At the end of every meal all of the table scraps go to the pigs; no food waste at Klein. Perhaps more camps should think of having a few pigs around each summer for just that task.

Despite my limited interaction with the animals, I did get a chance to interact with the wonderful and hospitable staff at Klein who was in the midst of staff training. My thanks to program director Linda Knutson for allowing me to share some words about discernment and church vocations and to sit in on Bible study planning.

As with all my camp visits I was able to have one-on-one conversations with a few individuals thinking about seminary study and a vocation in ministry; always rewarding time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home