Monday, March 19, 2007

California Swing—San Diego

These four posts are a travelogue of my California trip with colleagues from some of the other seven ELCA seminaries.

Our last stop on the CA Swing was in San Diego (March 14, 2007). Here we met with Pastor Molly Knutson-Keller and with prospective students and others participating in the Lutheran Campus Ministry worship service at San Diego State University that evening. I love meeting and hearing the stories of students who have found their way to Lutheran Campus Ministries across the nation, but especially those who are studying at schools as large and diverse as SDSU. I am so pleased our church provides this ministry which is so vital for these young adults.

By the way Lutheran Campus Ministry is celebrating 100 years of ministry in 2007. Congratulations LCM!

That evening my colleagues and I broke up into groups of two and visited a few congregations. Mark Olsen (Gettysburg Seminary) and I went to St. Andrew Lutheran Church. Pastor Andrew Taylor greeted us and we joined the congregation for their Wednesday evening Lenten supper. Then Mark spoke to the adults about the Seminaries of the ELCA while I spoke to the confirmation students about vocation. Our evening ended with worship.

As I travel on behalf of Luther Seminary I continue to be amazed at the vastness and diversity of the ELCA, in its people, ministries and geography, and what a richness that diversity brings to our denomination. I hope through reading my blog and in doing so accompanying me on my travels that people get a feel for this and treasure it as much as I do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home